While the integrated photonics industry is in its infancy—exploring application-specific compentencies and challenges for the photonic integrated circuit—the semiconductor industry is in a mature manufacturing phase, exploring the application limits of microelectronics and innovative new designs for the microchip. To move a $350 billion semiconductor industry established for microelectronics towards disruptive new photonics applications requires careful coordination amongst hundreds of companies and the re-envisioning of a novel supply chain to link them. AIM Photonics Academy's roadmap, in close consultation with these companies, provides the definitive path for establishing manufacturing standards and a worldwide consensus on best practices for industry to adopt.
Download the 2016 Integrated Photonics Systems Roadmap (IPSR), and executive summary and chapter highlights. For additional information about the Roadmap, visit the IPSR web site.
Below is the schedule of Roadmap webinars for 2017.
Thursday, June 22: Packaging
– Packaging Roadmap Update, Bill Bottoms, 3MTS
– AIM Photonic Interposer Technology, Doug Coolbaugh, AIM Photonics
Thursday, August 10: Sensors
(Click here for webinar)
– Sensor Roadmap Overview, Ben Miller, U of R and Anu Agrawal, MIT
– Methane Trace-Gas Sensing Enabled by Silicon Photonic Integration, Will Green, IBM
Thursday, August 24: Assembly
(Click here for the webinar)
– Assembly Roadmap Update, Dick Otte, Promex Industries
Date TBD: Test
– Initial Scope of Test, TBD
– Design for Test, TBD
– AIM Photonics Assembly & Test Capabilities, Tom Brown, U of R
Date TBD: Interconnection Substrates
– Interconnect Substrate Roadmap Scope, Voya Markovich
– Application Needs and Challenges, TBD
Date TBD: Indium Phosphide Integrated Photonics
– InP Roadmap Overview, TBD
– Review of AIM Infinera InP services
Thursday, December 14: Grand Challenges and Key Needs for 2018, Lionel Kimerling, MIT
Below is the schedule of upcoming Roadmap meetings.
Fall 2017 IPSR Meeting: October 9-10, SUNY Polytechnic in Albany NY
Spring 2018 IPSR Meeting: March 26-27, MIT Media Lab
Fall 2018 IPSR Meeting: November 29-30, MIT Samberg Meeting Center